We are looking for a highly skilled technical artist to work on photography-based creation of realistic 3D assets, primarily focused on texture atlases and tileable surfaces, but also 3D scanned props and environment chunks.
Position: Full-time, Permanent
Start date: March/April 2023
Type: Hybrid remote (Mondays in office, otherwise according to preference or task requirement)
Location: Randburg, South Africa
Salary: R28-35k per month
Your role will be researching, developing and implementing techniques for creating 3D environment assets from real-world 3D objects, including:
- Using photogrammetry to capture and process models with precision, both in the studio and out in the world.
- Developing repeatable and scalable photometric-stereo workflows for capturing fabrics and flat surfaces.
- Exploring novel ways to create texture atlases and tools to help environment artists.
- Traveling on several short excursions per year (both local and international) with a small team to capture unique environments.
About Poly Haven
Poly Haven is a renowned asset platform that creates free high quality 3D assets for everyone, published under the public domain to be free of any restrictions or conditions.
Our work is used in numerous Hollywood films, AAA video games, and cutting edge AI research – as well as reaching millions of individual artists every month.
Our focus is on producing the best quality 3D assets possible and developing techniques that can be executed at scale.
We are a transparent community-centered project, sharing everything that we know to help other 3D artists grow and improve.
Much of our funding comes from individuals who appreciate what we do and donate to support our work, making us highly accountable to them and letting our community be involved in the decisions we make to move forward.
Who we’re looking for
The kind of candidate we are looking for:
- Is very detail-oriented and perfectionistic.
- Is resourceful and excels at creative problem solving.
- Enjoys understanding how things work on a technical level and is willing to learn and grow.
- Has a thorough technical understanding of color science and PBR material standards.
- Has a basic technical understanding of photography and how cameras, lenses and light works.
- Is comfortable using command line tools and writing simple scripts to automate tasks.
- Enjoys travelling and hiking.
- 3 year work experience + related degree OR 5 years work experience.
- Practical experience with using professional DSLR/Mirrorless cameras.
- At least some experience with photogrammetry.
- Basic programming/scripting experience.
- Significant programming/scripting experience.
- Knowledge or interest in mechanical engineering and robotics, such as 3D printing, DIY drones, arduino, etc.
- Extensive knowledge of Blender, 3Ds Max and Unreal.
- A passion for open source software and philosophies.
What it’s like working at Poly Haven
We have a small core team of 4 full time staff supplemented by independent contractors around the world.
The work you do will make a positive impact on millions of people, helping artists improve their skills, focus on what they’re good at, and make a living from it.
We foster a culture of independence and ownership over the work that you do. While passion is often a reason to want to work late, we encourage a mindset to maintain work-life balance and ensure a stress-free environment.
As we function independently and almost never do work for clients, deadlines are rare and typically flexible.
By the nature of making assets for anyone to use for any purpose forever, much of our work is focused on the cutting edge of what is technically possible with today’s hardware, often involving exploring and developing new workflows and techniques. What we develop and discover often becomes the standard way of doing things in the industry.
Whenever possible, we encourage you to explore what it is that you enjoy doing, outside your usual role in the team. This often includes learning new skills and playing around with tools and techniques you are interested in. As a rule we value passion and whatever it is you are motivated to do.
We have one meeting per week and prefer everyone to manage their own time.
All employees enjoy generous leave benefits, flexible work hours, and full cover for training and personal development programs. We believe in hiring people, not skills.